Curried Butternut Squash Soup
This gorgeous soup is adapted from one on Runners World. Quick and easy – give it a go!
- 1x butternut squash
- 120ml low-fat coconut milk
- 180ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 1x tsp balti curry powder
- 1x tsp mixed herbs
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1x tbsp bio yoghurt to top
- Steam butternut squash for 7-8 mins, until it is tender, yet still firm enough to hold its shape.
- Drain, place in blender and leave to cool (do not blend while hot).
- Make 180ml of chicken or vegetable stock – allow to cool before adding to blender.
- Add suggested quantities of curry powder, mixed herbs, sea salt to the butternut squash.
- Add coconut milk (to above ingredients in blender)
- Once cool, add stock to blender. Now blend for 20-40 seconds. Time depends on how chunky/smooth you want your soup.
- Serve in a nicer bowl than in this pic!
- Season with a little black pepper.
- Add a dab of bio yoghurt for effect and more benefit.
Butternut squash is a great source of electrolytes for runners. Curry powder contains turmeric which has anti-inflammatory benefits, including reducing muscle pain and joint inflammation. Bio yoghurt will add further creaminess and delivers friendly bacteria/cultures for gut health. It really offsets the orange soup too!
Settle down with a nice green smoothie (separate recipe) and your favourite Trail Running Magazine and off you go!