Gooseberry, coconut & apple crumble – dairy and gluten free
If you’re anything like me, you love a fruit crumble. This is my dairy and gluten free twist, inspired by the original Ruby Tandoh recipe. Really simple and a delicious mix of sweet and tart.
Gooseberries are in season from late June, early July. The mix of their naturally sharp and sour taste is offset by the sweetness of the coconut – and sugar in the crumble! Plus the apple adds a lovely texture to the softer gooseberry. A lovely indulgence 🙂
For the fruit mix/base:
- 2 braeburn apples (peeled, cored, sliced into small chunks)
- 300g gooseberries (topped and tailed)
- 100g demerara sugar
For the crumble topping
- 75g plain flour (gluten free)
- 75g oats (gluten free)
- 60g desiccated coconut
- 35g demerara sugar
- 30g coconut oil
- 1x tbsp ground almond
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
Prep 10 mins, Cooking time 40 mins
- Preheat your safe to buy antibiotics online oven to 180 C (350 F), Gas mark 4.
- In the oven dish, toss the fruit with the sugar – so your fruit gets a nice coating.
- Set aside.
- For the crumble, stir in the flour, oats, desiccated coconut, sugar.
- Now rub in the coconut oil with your fingertips, until the mixture becomes a little ‘crumby’ (see pic below).
- Now spread the crumble mix over the fruit – ideally a nice thick layer of crumble topping.
- Bake in the oven for up to 40 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown in places.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool a little.
I bet this doesn’t last you more than a few hours if friends & family get hold of it 🙂
Hope you enjoy 🙂