Cashew Choc Chia Butter Homemade
Fancy some very healthy indulgence? This variation on the homemade cashew butter is a lovely ‘chocolatee’ treat. A heavenly mix of cashew, chia, cacao.
Makes about 1 x 400ml jar
- 400g organic cashew nuts (unsalted)
- 1x tbsp chia seed (2 if you want slightly more texture)
- 1x tbsp cacao powder (organic, raw)
- 1x tbsp rapeseed or sesame oil
- 4x tbsp coconut oil (optional)
- 1x tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- ½x tsp ground ginger
Prep 2 mins, cooking & mixing time 10 mins max
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Place the cashew nuts on a baking tray, add to the hot oven and bake for up 10 mins (don’t let them burn).
- Take the cashews out of the oven and put on a plate to cool down.
- When cool, put them in a food processor.
- Add the oil, chia seed, cacao powder, plus optional coconut oil, ground cinnamon, ground ginger if wanted.
- Blend for about 10 seconds so the mix is rough (see below)
- Scrape the sides with a spatular, then blend again for 20 seconds (it’s still rough but getting smoother)
- Scrape sides again, then blend for between 1-3 minutes (you https://kootenaycolumbiacollege.com/cheap-xanax/ want your butter mix to be smooth and creamy so the exact timing depends on the power of your blender – I’m using a Magimix).
- Drizzle your homemade cashew butter into a clean sterilised jar (you can sterilise a jar by simply cleaning it and putting the open jar into the oven).
- Should keep in a jar for 3-4 weeks minimum.
- Serve with banana, smoothies, simply on oat cakes or a cracker. Absolutely lovely!
Don’t forget to lick the chocolate mess in the bowl! 🙂
Well apart from the delicious taste, cashew butter seems to be easier to digest than peanut butter. Cashew butter is high in protein, B vitamins and unsaturated fats. These are good fats which help your metabolism, boost your immune system and are good for skin and muscle tone. The inclusion of a small amount of coconut oil in this recipe means it is even better for your skin. For more information on cashew butter health benefits read this summary.
Raw cacao powder is considered to be one of the very highest sources of antioxidants. Read this excellent comparison of cacoa powder vs. cocoa powder from One Green Planet for more info.
Hope you enjoy 🙂